July 3, 2006

Charter Communications


Addendum: The phone number for Charter Communications is
1-866-974-5046. This posting has gotten more hits and comments than any other on my blog; monthly I get calls on my cell phone from people looking for Charter's Customer Complaint Number. Try calling 1-866-974-5046 .


Upon the recommendation of a friend, I switched from Earthlink DSL to Charter High Speed. If you go to their web site, you'll see a current offer of $19.99 a month for three months, plus a free gift!

I don't have a TV. All I want is Internet. So it looks like $19.99 a month for three months.

And what does the fine print say?

Services not available in all areas. Prices may vary by service area. Standard rates apply after promotional period ends. All programming and pricing subject to the terms and conditions of the subscriber agreement and are subject to change. Programming availability and channel lineup varies by market. High definition programming is limited to the programming provided in high definition format by programming partners. A network card may be required as installation for additional cost. Internet access speeds may vary. Residential customers only. Other restrictions may apply. Self-installation not available in all areas. Installation and service fees may also apply. Prices do not include taxes and fees which vary by location and service ordered. If you selected a Special Internet Offer, the promotional price is reflected at the end of your order.
* To be eligible for a thank you gift, original order must be received online.


Pretty standard stuff. When I signed up, they offered a similar deal. Here's my order confirmation:

COMPLETE YOUR ORDER - CALL NOW # 1-866-974-5046

Thank you for your order. To schedule your installation date immediately, please call 1-866-974-5046. If you are placing an order outside of the hours listed below, you will receive a call from Charter within 24 hours or please call us at your convenience within the times listed below. Please have your confirmation receipt available for reference when speaking to the Charter representative.

Phone Agent Hours of Operation:
Mon - Fri 8am to 11pm ( CST), Sat - Sun 9am to 6pm ( CST)

Please print or save this email for your records.

------------------------------
-----------------------------
Customer Information
-----------------------------------------------------------

Name: Michael Buitron
Address:
Long Beach, CA 90813
Phone:
E-mail: michaelbuitron@gmail.com

-----------------------------------------------------------
Service Description
-----------------------------------------------------------

Your confirmation number: 200604231167993

Professional Installation, Own Modem - 3 months @ $19.99 per month

Please remember: Someone age 18 or older needs to be at home during the appointment to authorize the installation and pay the first month of service plus the installation charge(s) as displayed on the Order Summary. The technician may ask for a form of picture ID to ensure proper identity.
This email address is not set up to receive reply messages. If you have any questions regarding your new service order email, please contact us at http://www.charter.com/contact/contact.aspx

We look forward to providing you with the best possible service,

Charter Communications Customer Service

They also said they would waive the installation fee if I ordered on line. What it doesn't say is that you have to sign up for automatic credit card billing to get this deal.

So here are my first two Charter bills:

5/28/06 $49.99
5/6/06 $84.99

The 5/6/06 bill shows a 35-dollar charge for installation, which should have been waived. My current bill (on 6/28/06) is $49.99.

So let's see: $20 a month overcharge for three months, plus an incorrect charge for installation of $35 comes to $95.00.

Below is our communication, back and forth:

--Original Message--
From: michaelbuitron@gmail.com
Date: 5/12/2006 3:42:28 PM
To: info.cc@mailegain.chartercom.com
Subject: Bill / Wrong

Web Form ID: 002

Billing System No. 2001012

Subject: Bill / Wrong

------------------------------
-----------------------------
Customer Information
-----------------------------------------------------------

Name: Michael Buitron
Address:
Long Beach CA 90813
Phone: 562-519-0333
E-mail: michaelbuitron@gmail.com

-----------------------------------------------------------
Customer Contact Information
-----------------------------------------------------------
Contact By: Email

-----------------------------------------------------------
Message:
-----------------------------------------------------------
A couple of issues:

1) When the cable guy came to install the line, his service order said 1068 Minerva Ct. Likewise, my first bill was addressed to Minerva Ct. There are two streets in Long Beach, Minerva Park and Minerva Court. I live on Minerva Park. To ensure bills, cable guys, and communications arrive in a timely manner, you need to correct your information.

2) I ordered high-speed internet service only on line. I also IM'ed to confirm and hear of any better deals through a phone operator. The plan I purchased had a $49.95 installation fee, and a cost of $29.99 for the first three months, and $39.99 afterwards. If I ordered on line, the installation charge would be waived, if I selected the automatic payment option.

This was confirmed to me by Elizabeth through IM at 7:45 on 4/18/06.

When I ordered on line, my confirmation number was 25460998, confirmed by Christian 4/23/06 at 10:05 am. He also confirmed the same pricing and fee waivers.

I received a bill in the mail charging $35 for installation and $49.99 for monthly service.

A: I shouldn't be receiving paper bills as I signed up for automatic payment!

B: I shouldn't be charged for installation!

C: The monthly service charge is incorrect!

Please correct these four things (address, A, B, C) or my worst fears of getting internet from a cable company will be confirmed.

Regards,

Michael

Their response:

Thank you for contacting Charter Communications.

Due to the nature of your email and our security policy, we are asking that you please contact our customer care team at your convenience.

Our customer care team will be able to better assist at this time. We thank you for your patience on this issue.

You may reach our Customer Care Center at 1-866-499-8080, 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

Customer Support
Charter Communications


Talked with Ray (a first level supervisor who didn’t have a great command of the English language) who informed me that he would be "sending a form to the regional office" for action on this. Geesh.
Where do they get these guys??!!

They said they would be calling me back. No call back ever happened.

This is my second attempt to rectify Charter's mistake. Let me explain how customer satisfaction works. I explain the problem, and you rectify it. I do not want to explain the situation to someone else, call another number, send another e-mail, be put on hold, or be given the run-around ad nauseum.

If you would prefer I took my business to Verizon, you're doing a great job!

OK. So I got more $49.99 bills. I sent another e-mail:

--Original Message--
From: michaelbuitron@gmail.com
Date: 6/5/2006 2:20:39 PM
To: info.cc@mailegain.chartercom.com
Subject: Bill / Wrong

Web Form ID: 002

Billing System No. 2001012

Subject: Bill / Wrong

------------------------------
-----------------------------
Customer Information
-----------------------------------------------------------

Name: Michael Buitron
Address:
Long Beach CA 90813
Phone: 562-519-0333
E-mail: michaelbuitron@gmail.com

-----------------------------------------------------------
Customer Contact Information
-----------------------------------------------------------
Contact By: Email

-----------------------------------------------------------
Message:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I originally went to your website, charter.com to look for your price on high-speed internet. Your website lists a $49.95 installation, with a monthly charge of 29.99 for the first three months, and 39.99 afterwards. It also stated that if I order online, the installation charged would be waived if automatic payment were selected. Elizabeth through IM confirmed this deal on 4/18/06 at 7:45.

I then ordered service online on 4/23/06 and received a confirmation number of 25460992 at 10:05 am. The cable guy came out and installed the line on 5/5/06.

My first bill showed and installation charge of 35.00 and a monthly service charge of 49.99. The monthly service charge should have been 29.99 as advertised on your website, and the installation charge should have been waived. After two e-mail messages and one phone call, the issue was still not resolved. My first e-mail message received a response that I needed to call the telephone number, and the person I talked to at your call center in Bangalore, India said he wasn't authorized to fix the charges, and someone else would be calling me back.

I sent off another e-mail detailing the situation thus far, and never received a satisfactory response. As far as I knew, the issue had not been resolved.

My current bill also shows a partial month service charge of 49.99, which should be $29.99.

This is e-mail number four, and you have still not been able to bill me correctly.
I should be paying $29.99 for the first three months of service, and 39.99 after that. Please fix my bill.

I'm getting tired of typing these messages. If there's a human being who actually reads this and you can't fix the problem, try handing it over to someone else who can. I'm getting carpal tunnel syndrome, all over your greedy overcharges.

Please help!

A month (!!!) later I got this response:

Thank you so much for contacting Charter Communications. I would be glad to assist you in the best manner possible.

I apologize but it appears that you did not clearly read the terms and conditions for the service for which you subscribed and signed for. You receive a service discount for the promotion for a set amount. However, it will not equal the $24.95 you expect unless you also hold Charter TV services as well as the internet service, as you will not receive the additional $10 discount for holding dual services. Your billing is not in error and will remain as it is currently until your promotional rate ends at which time the discount will be removed and your service cost will be the $49.99 monthly displayed.

If you have any additional questions regarding your Internet service or need further assistance with it, you may contact us by calling the telephone number listed on your bill or work order. You can also use our live chat feature located on our website at http://www.charter.com/ and local contact information can found at http://www.charter.com/service/contact/contact.asp

Thank You
Charter Communications


So I responded:

First your customer service representative misinformed me when she quoted the prices as given. Even so, if I accept your assertion that I should pay a ten-dollar premium for not having multiple services, I am still being overcharged! I was charged for installation, which was supposed to be waived and I am not being charged the introductory price.

I would love to see a link to this "fine print" terms and conditions of service. I can find nothing on your web site that show the additional $10.00 charge. Take a lesson from Google: "Don't be evil."

I should be charged 29.99 for the first three months, and you're charging me the full 49.99! What gives? I should have a $20.00 credit for the first two months, and another $35.00 credit for the installation fee that was charged.

Hey, how's the weather in Bangalore this time of year?


Perhaps I'll get a response in another month!





Sphere: Related Content

36 comments:

  1. I feel for you.

    Everytime I've had a problem with Charter it has been an ordeal. Just trying to talk to them is so difficult. And don't ask for a number for a home office, they act like they don't have a home office. It I could find a alternative that would cost me no more and be high speed for my interent I would switch in a second.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently got screwed by charter too; I put my account on "suspension" for the summer so it would only cost 14.95 per month for 3 months and I would not have to pay the outragious installation fees when I returned. They continued to charge me full price and I called them to find out "suspension" is "not offered in my area" even though I was told it was and that I "was signed up for it but it just wasn't processed." I was sent to multiple wrong extensions and hung up on twice until I got to someone with a brain and they told me all they could do was cut my cable to basic (which is 12.95 a month and cheaper than the suspension price) and they refunded my money and offered me half of the upgrade fee to get back what service I already have (better than nothing in my book).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently got screwed by charter too; I put my account on "suspension" for the summer so it would only cost 14.95 per month for 3 months and I would not have to pay the outragious installation fees when I returned. They continued to charge me full price and I called them to find out "suspension" is "not offered in my area" even though I was told it was and that I "was signed up for it but it just wasn't processed." I was sent to multiple wrong extensions and hung up on twice until I got to someone with a brain and they told me all they could do was cut my cable to basic (which is 12.95 a month and cheaper than the suspension price) and they refunded my money and offered me half of the upgrade fee to get back what service I already have (better than nothing in my book).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am an IT Consultant and Tech who works out of his home in AZ. (Frontier bought out the local telephone svc. lines in my area a few years ago..(It was Citizens Utilities before that).

    Originally I had only a dial up ISP svc. ($19.95 a mo.), from Citizens, but as soon as Frontier took over the lines they started upgrading the lines to fiber optic...I waited a bit. My Father-in-Law lives w/ us and had a separate line that he also carried $19.95 a Mo. svc. fee for dial up-Both phones were constantly in use w/ the net & IE6SP1 took 12 hrs. to download & update alone.

    Frontier finally called w/ an offer I just couldn't refuse...$49.99 a month after the initial 6 months @ half price of $24.98 a month for the first 6 months...Net was only a $5.00 increase each after the special price period of 6 months- So F-in-Law pays us $25.00 a month every Mo. (We both saved some money that first 6 months).

    A free router/modem & self install kit w/ all the filters & cables I needed was provided except the long cable runs I installed to every room in the house except the bathrooms. (This house is flat wired).

    I sometimes have upwards of 35-40 machines running at a time off my rack mount switches and can run up to a hundred separate IP addresses before being considered a commercial account. And each tests out @328 download/296 upload MB's per second or better depending on time of day/night..That same IE6SP1 download now takes a mere few minutes...They even replaced (upgraded), my modem once after I burned it up running 1 machine on the USB port while I ran one off the Inet cable @ the same time(fast switching a router/modem back & forth between USB/inet doesn't work I now know).

    Customer Svc. is a local phone # talking to AMERICAN TECH's. in Upstate New York that are friendly & helpful (they don't deal w/ the money end at all, but the people who do are 3 blocks away and very helpful)..Not that I'd know, I haven't talked to one in 3 years now I think at my house at least. (The line just works & works).

    If Frontier is avail. locally for you...USE THEM, I'd say. If not call Frontier, maybe they would buy out Charter on your recommendation.

    cglrcng

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only way to deal with Charter's billing issues is to give them a shot first (of course, it won't work) then contact the BBB. I guarantee you will receive a call from someone who speaks English and will fix the issue. Been there done that. I refuse to ever use Charter for my internet. It's bad enough when the tv constantly goes out even during sunny weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh,Man;thanks for the info.about Charter.AT the first sign of that deceit,I would drop that bunch like burned pancakes,tell my bank to "contest"all charges to them,refuse to pay them,on yer card,and refuse to pay a cent.Ditch them.That's the only thing they would understand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every time I have used Charter when I was back in the states, I kept getting timed out and all that shit. Bump dat!

    Glad I moved to Canada ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am going through the same ordeal with Charter. Ther reason they don't understand English is that all billing issues get routed to the Phillipines, where you speak to someone who gets paid $2/hr. They could care less if you understand them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I seemed to getting screwed right now. I signed up for the Charter bundle package hoping to save $200 or more. It has been hell ever since. Cable has been fine but everytime my Internet goes down, my phone line gets disconnected as well. It disconnects on average 4 times a day! I've called no less than 40 times since we got it about a month and a half ago. On top of that, each time the phone goes down, my Brinks Home Security continuously beeps since it needs that phone line to be connected. On top of that...again, Brinks had to come out to install a device to switch its service to digital. That cost me $70. On top of that...sh!t, I've had a tech not show up at all and waste an entire work day. I'm currently talking to corporate to see if they can cover me for the Brinks fee as well as the intermittent connections. J from ATL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I worked at a Charter call center in MN for 7 months. A few days after I quit, a co-worker told me that 3 of their 7 call centers in the U.S. were closing. They are losing tons of money. They do, indeed, suck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oct 06-Technician took my cash payment of $52.90, no receipt, payment was not credited to my account. I still "owe" $52.90 which I already paid.

    At the start of Nov., I called customer svc.. They told me there was nothing they could do, that I would have to go in person to the Riverside office. I went the next day and filled out a complaint- at which time I was told it was my fault because I didn't get a receipt. I was told I would be receiving a response within a week. After not hearing anything for a couple of weeks, I inquired about the status on their website. I heard nothing. After 1 month, I went to the office on 12/06 to inquire about the status. Was told I would get a call that night. Nothing. The next day, I recvd a call saying since there was no paper record of the payment, that I would have to pay. I said I wanted to file another complaint, and the woman told me I couldn't, that I have to pay. I was very upset about this. I realize I should have asked 4 a receipt, but it is also the tech's responsibility to give me one when receiving payment. I don't feel like this was a mistake on his part. I think he knew what he was doing, that he was getting a free 50 bucks. I hit a wall when trying to get my $ back from Charter. Yes, I feel that not asking for receipt was a mistake, and I should have to go through some trouble to get this fixed. However, I shouldn't have to lose my money like that. When I called corporate customer care today 12/8/06, I was on hold for 34 minutes, after which time I became extremely frustrated and hung up. On top of all this, that tech never installed the internet, and left plates hanging.

    I then filed a complaint with the BBB. About a week later I got this response: "Initial Response - Posted 12-20-2006
    Customer copy of work order acts as initial receipt for COD. Customer did receive the copy of the work order. In looking at the work order there is no record of payment received. However it does show a COD should have been collected.
    Initial Response Summary
    Charter will make a $50 credit to the account."

    If I want high-speed internet, I have no choice. They have a monopoly on that in this area. Kudos to the BBB, however. After exhausting all of my options with Charter, I contacted them and I got the results I wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never talked to someone who was billed as they expected with Charter. I recently moved my service to a new address with charter which resulted in two things:

    1) my bill going up from $88/month total to $120/month total

    and

    2) being double billed

    After talking with them for an hour and calling back one week later, they fixed the double billing issue. However, they would never tell me why I was being billed at a higher rate than before and refused to correct it. So I changed my service to a $60/month service which came out to more than $80/month after magic charter fees. The next month, they raised their rates an additiona $5/month for that tier.

    I talked to some coworkers and each of them said they either had problems with charter over billing in addition to failing to disconnect services, etc. One of them tried to check his bill online (he was set up with autopay) and surprised to find he couldn't. He was more surprised to find they were charging him nearly twice what he was quoted when he checked his credit card statements.

    What's even worse is that several of their services are very poor. I get better OTA HD reception than I get from Charter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ugh! I just spent 45 minutes on the phone with Charter. When I agreed to sign up, I was offered a rate of $89.97 for their bundle of internet, cable, and telephone. My first bill was for over $150!

    Fortunately, I managed to talk to someone that actually fixed the problem, but it sounds like they do this all the time. Class action, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just spent 54 minutes on the phone on hold.I spent 25 min waiting to speak to a supervisor then I was told THE supervisor was free now and would speak to me. At this time i hear music and wait 29 minutes and no one ever picked up. I called back only to have a person tell me that they don't give letters of credit anymore. When I asked why she said I don't know and hung up. I live in Sparks Nevada and our new phone book came today and Charter is not in it anywhere.Also the local phone number I was given belongs to a long existing company here that is not Charter, and they said they are tired of people being given the wrong number by Charter. Anyway good luck all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. On the phone with Charter right now! They gave me the 866 number and I googled it and this is the first site that popped up. So it took at least 22 days from the day I ordered the service to get it installed! They missed 4, yes 4, appointments, so with a range of 3 hours per appointment time, that is about 2 days of work if you include driving time. One appointment even got canceled for some unknown reason! I also spent over 4 hours (collectively )on the phone with charter, which zapped my minutes. Eventually, I canceled the cable and changed my order to just internet. I called DishTV after 2 weeks of the Charter nonsense and they had it installed with in 3 days! They even came out on a Saturday!

    So I'm on the phone with Charter right now b/c the fist bill we received was for $60 something dollars. We had signed up for a $19.99 internet deal. What a f-ing headache!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also have been screwed by Charter Communications. I spoke with a Brian Hill in Louisville who told me that he didn't know the address for the home office, and there was no email for me to contact them. MY problem was that when they bought out our local cable company, they discontinued our email accounts without warning in the mail. So all correspondences were simply 'lost'. He's very sorry. Said it was 'my bad'.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never been treated the way charter is treating me. I moved so cal 4 months ago it took them 19 days to finally get cable after numerous people at charter said they didn't service my area when in fact they are the only ones that service my area. I canceled them a month later cause i couldnt get someone to come fix my connection problems i was having. When i finally decided to try working with them again all was well until they switched the channel lineup without changing the channel guide. So all the shows i dvr were not recorded and i am missing channels and to make it worse i spent an hour and a half on the phone with them being on hold for 20 minutes at a time to speak to someone who could help. Noone ever could. I truely hate charter

    ReplyDelete
  18. I recently moved into an area only served by Charter. This company appears to be in real trouble and seems to be trying to get as much money as possible before giving up the fight. Their rates are not competitive (their monthly fee for an obsolete DVR is $20!!!) They offer digital cable tv but do not provide a digital DVR or Cable Box that can connect with any device digitally. They cannot afford to have a modern billing system and their home equipment is far from state of the art. Everything is take it or leave it with Charter. You will have problems with Charter if you give them your business, it will be you who will be getting the "business".

    ReplyDelete
  19. I signed up for Charter cable, internet and phone through their web site, which took a few minutes. After I submitted my order, a window popped up saying I had to schedule a time for installation via chat. That ended up taking an hour and 45 minutes and the person I was chatting with said they would have to call me back. I'm thinking about cancelling the order all together.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I coincidently came across this blog by Googling for a Charter Regional Office...HA-HA and fat chance doing that! I am not even a Charter customer, and already I am considering giving them the boot. Communicating with them, as already noted here, is an abject struggle and an exercise in futility. Attempts at ordering service over the website resulted in "no service in your area" because "address not valid", which is really funny because the IRS damn sure knows where it is! So I thought, "I'll go to the local office and talk to someone face to face, because I am convinced my residence is eligible for service because I am surrounded by neighbors who have Charter, right? WRONG!! After going over there, not only were they not willing to give out their phone number (acting as if they didn't even have one) so I could follow-up, but the "supervisor" is on vacation for two weeks and not a living soul in that office is authorized to make a decision about a damn thing! That was two weeks ago and after leaving my number I am still waiting for a call. If there was another alternative for high speed Internet, I would take it in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am on the phone w/ charter and it seems you can spend hours on hold and talking to morons that don't know about their own programming. I've been charged wrong, and trying to get it corrected is an ordeal and everymonth it's the same... If you're not a customer now, save yourself the trouble... I'm looking for alternatives.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have cable through Charter and it is a nightmare trying to contact customer service about anything. There is an office 35 miles away, and another 85 miles away, but neither of them has a direct line. Instead you have to call their toll free number. I paid all the bills I got last month and discovered this month that Charter wasn't one of them. Because of this, I wanted them to place a note on the file saying I'd sent the full amount for the two months in the mail today. This should have taken 5 minutes. I dealt with these people for almost an hour - over 30 minutes trying to make three foreigners at their 888 number understand what I wanted. The rest of the time trying to make one foreigner and one (maybe) american understand what I wanted over their live chat on their website. Then I was told that leaving a note on the file would not prevent a possible disconnect and I should either call their 888 number to pay by credit card (Ha! These people can't understand a simple request, how can I believe they will be crediting my account properly or not using the information for their own use? I asked how I could speak to an American. He said I had to call the 888 number. I am going to write a letter to Michael Lovett, the executive vice president, and complain about the customer service. If they disconnect me before they get my payment, I will contact the BBB as well. I was going to switch to a dish after I moved, but I may do it sooner. It is horrendous trying to deal with these people.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Charter is the devil. THEY disconnected my phone servie erroneously at the beginning of January (Long story short, two crews came on the same day: one coded it as a disconnect rather than a connection, the other crew just didn't finish their paper work). Called and had a re-connect scheduled for yesterday. No one showed. Called Charter, "Oh someone showed, you just weren't there." Ok, A. I was home with my front door open, with the plumber, 2. they were told to call my cell before coming. All of these facts fell on 4 different sets of deaf ears. I'm now waiting on my call back from them to schedule an emergency re-connect. Yeah, I'll hold my breath.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I cancelled my Charter cable service 3 months ago. I returned the 2 cable converter boxes and have the receipt to prove it. Charter called me 4 times asking why I was canceling my service. Charter also sent me a bill the following month. I called and they said to ignore it, It was a computer generated bill sent before the service was cancelled. Last month I was sent another bill for 2 months worth of a service. I called and they said they would credit my account and cancel the service. This month I received another bill for 3 months service (over $300.00) I refuse to call again and plan on ignoring it. If Charter sends the bill to a collection agency I will sue for lawyers fees, false billing practices and defamation of personal credit ratings.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Calling the 888 for any help is useless. Contacted Charter Email. Was referred here. Trying Charter ePay. Logged into My Account. Entered User Name & Password. Next page, clicked on "Charter ePay." This page said I should click on "Log Into My Account." Up comes page 1 again. Entered my security Code & Account No. Then clicked "Register Here." Next page says "Create Login." Previously I had created a new user name and password (since the requirement now was 8 character password instead of my Login password). This whole exercise failed before, so what should I enter into the Create Login user name and password? My original, or a new one?? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  26. i opted for a special price for high speed Internet for the $14.95 per month. They keep charging me 39.99, cannot get them to remove them and keep them off. The charges were put back on my bill after fighting for a couple of hours. I have dealt with Charter for over 15 years and stupidly recently tried again. They had a special I signed up for 5 years ago on cable, said price good for three years, 9 months later FULL PRICE. 12 years ago I returned a box, kept the receipt. The charged me and put the no pay on my credit report. Took months and hours and hours on the phone to straighten that one up. This offer seemed too good to be true and it was. Charter along with Qwest uses bait and switch as standard operating practices and no one seems to be doing anything about it. We can spend millions on spying on us and our neighbors but "What about Corporate America Screwing the general public? If you have a chance to take advantage of a special, just be prepared to pay the full price or you could very well spend far too much time to get it right. Thank you for the customer service number I will call on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I signed up for Charter high speed internet. Bought a new computer on 12-15-07. The technician insisted on hooking up my old computer and said that all I needed to do was unplug the modem cable from my old computer and insert into the new computer. Well, here it is 2 months later and I still have not been able to use my new computer. Hewlitt Packard, the manufacturer, has verified the problem is not with the new computer. The last Charter tech support guy I spoke with told me that since I am an operating system of Vista, it was impossible to help. Gimme a break! Vista has been out for over a year. The last tech guy was very rude and told us to go to the computer device manager and he gave us a bunch of stuff to type in. What we ended up with was digitalputty.com and another unknown ISP in our connection area. We were both upset and couldn't sleep after the last mess. We have to wait at least 5 or 6 days before we can call those people as we have gotten no place in 2 months. I wish we had checked in Charter before we had them sign us up. Just got a bill for $106 and we are 2 months later and our computer is still not hooked up to charter.net. They really are bad.

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's a little late since the last comment was 2 months ago, but... any time you switch the ethernet from one pc to another, the modem has to be unplugged for 15-30 seconds, then plugged back in to make the modem give the IP to your new pc. It's not a hard and fast rule and it's often dependent on the type of modem you have, but sometimes it's necessary.
    If this fixes your issue, then it wasn't a problem with your internet provider in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The problem was with the charges, not the internet connection.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The problem is that they don't BILL at their promotional rates!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I created a new Gmail accont and right away we are recieving emails from customercare@chrtr.convergentbill.com
    saying that we owe them money and to click here to veiw out e-bill. I have never done anything with charter or is our current internet service linked to them in any way. Is this a new phishing scam or did we somehow get put on a billing list? I am hoping someone can help.

    ReplyDelete
  32. customercare@chrtr.convergentbill.com

    I received the same e-pay billing message as your, but I am sure this is a scam because their address is not right.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I received the same email from customercare@chrtr.convergentbill.com

    it should be some kind of scam. I have no connection to charter

    ReplyDelete
  34. I was looking to sign up with charter as a new customer. When on the web site I could only see pricing based on a 6 month special. I sent them a email with my questions which they did not answer correctly read the emails and their responses

    Thank you so much for contacting Charter Communications. My name is Natalia and I can certainly provide you with information about charter services and prices.

    With our high speed internet services, we do offer several speeds. Without cable service, our 20 meg service is $89.99 per month, our 10 meg service is about $69.99 per month, and our 5 meg service is about $54.99 per month. If you receive cable and internet on the same account, they automatically bundle and you receive an $8 to $10 discount on your internet service price!
    Cable internet service does require a DOCSIS compatible cable modem, which you can purchase through most retail stores or directly from Charter in many areas. If you wish to rent a cable modem from us, you may do so for just $5 a month.

    Basic cable Increase your enjoyment of TV - with Charter Cable you get brilliant receptions, even in stormy weather. Choice - you get more of the programming you love - not just local broadcast. Save money over satellite - we provide local channels at no extra cost and with no commitmen. Easy - no equipment to buy or lease, and no antenna necessary to get great reception. For only $9.99 the first 6 mo nths and $19.99 regular rate.

    The Digital home provides you with over 80+ channels is $44.99 the first 6 months and $59.99 regular rate.

    Once again I thank you for your business!
    Natalia

    My reply to this email:

    I still need bundled prices after the 6 month special.


    From Charter:
    Please contact us at 1-888-438-2427 to discuss all of our bundled pricing.

    Thank You
    Charter Communications

    I then decided to do the chat methoid to answer my question

    Thank you for choosing Charter Chat Live! A Customer Care representative
    from Sales Support will be with you shortly.
    You have been connected to CVW Jonathan .
    CVW Jonathan : My name is Jonathan. Thank you for contacting Charter. How may I help you today?
    josh a: What is the cost after 6 months for internet and expanded cable?
    CVW Jonathan : I can certainly help you with this.
    CVW Jonathan : Do you currently have any Charter Services?
    josh a: No
    CVW Jonathan : What is your home address? I want to make sure we can service your address then I can set up an account for you.
    josh a: xxxxxxx xxxxxx, xxxxxxxxxx, oh 43311
    CVW Jonathan : Thank you, one moment please.
    josh a: I am not sure I am wanting service so I d0 not want an account setup for me until I decide.
    CVW Jonathan : regular price for internet is 44.99 and for cable its 53
    josh a: What is the bundled price?
    CVW Jonathan : 74.99
    josh a: Is this bundled price after the 6 months?
    josh a: Also, Would the internet be 5mbs?
    CVW Jonathan : that is the bundle price for 6 months
    CVW Jonathan : 5meg
    josh a: What is the cost after 6 months?
    CVW Jonathan : regular price for internet is 44.99 and for cable its 53
    josh a: No, what is the bundled cost after 6 months?
    CVW Jonathan : regular price for internet is 44.99 and for cable its 53
    CVW Jonathan : if you add it up that's the bundle price
    CVW Jonathan : 98
    josh a: There is no discount for bundling them together any longer?
    CVW Jonathan : Yes there is
    CVW Jonathan : it's 10.00 more if you just have internet

    I ended the chat. Also hewas wrong that was not the price I found out.

    It is pretty bad when you have to be sneaky and not show the prices after the 6 month special anywhere on your website. I am quite surpirse with these tough economic times that charter would not focus on customer service when trying to sign up new customers. If they act like this before you are a customer what will they be like afterwards? I will not sign up with Charter and I will tell everyone I can about my bad expierence.

    Josh Aten

    ReplyDelete
  35. On a scale of 10, I give charter.net a 3.
    The only reason Charter is still in business is they operate in so many areas with NO other cable competition.
    Their Cable service goes up and down frequently (but they never will admit it.)
    And, good luck working with their Internal spam identification settings. You will have Many issues sending or receiving email sent to or through your Charter email if the email includes URL links, and any wording that they deem suspicious. If you are using Charter email for any internet related business this will drive you crazy...
    but, Maybe we are the only people that actually still try and use Charter's email service ??
    Well, imo, if you have a choice for another ISP, Don't use charter.

    ReplyDelete