- Head north on Hill Street
- Just before the 110 Freeway on ramp is Bernard Street: Turn Right
- At the end of the block is Broadway: Turn Left
- Head north on Broadway for a half a mile
- Just before the bridge over the Los Angeles River will be the park entrance: Turn Left
- Stay to your right as you drive in the park
- At the crest of the road you’ll see a fork, with the left road blocked by a pole gate: Park Here
- Walk down the road that is behind the pole gate for a couple hundred yards
- You’ll start to hear the Pasadena Freeway, which tunnels under you
- As you walk, look up the hillside to your left
- You will see Social Spaces II
We Want a New Object, opening tomorrow, Saturday evening in Chinatown.
My piece (which was pictured in the LA Times) will have a doppelganger located nearby in Elysian Park. The second ungainly sculpture was put up a few days ago. The above directions will help you find you way from part one to part two.
While I was setting up, a couple people asked if I worked for the City. The next day I talked to two guys near the booth, and they thought it was put up by a Hollywood film crew. Neither would go inside because they suspected there were hidden cameras somewhere.
I've done some small interventions in the park before, but I would consider this my first big Improvised Artistic Device. More about Elysian Park here. More about social spaces and cruising here. Pictures of the thesis show installation here.